Thornbury Running Club was established in 1985 for runners in and around the Thornbury area of South Gloucestershire. Since that time the membership has grown to about 160, and members regularly run, swim, cycle and now power walk together.
Thursday night is Club night when we meet at 7pm at Thornbury Leisure Centre, and in addition to 4 different paced running groups we usually have a power walking group and an ‘efforts’ session, all led by qualified Coaches or Leaders:
1. The Fastest Group – Run incorporates threshold level efforts with plenty of regroups, no-one gets left behind. Head-torches advisable in winter.
2. The Tempo Group – Pace: around 7-8 min/mile, run incorporates efforts and regroups.
3. The Main Group – Pace: around 8-9 min/mile, steady run with regular regroups.
4. The Steady Group - Pace: around 10 min/mile, steady run with regroups
5. Efforts – leaders Craig Carscadden, Pete Mainstone. Interval training at locations around Thornbury
6. The Power Walking Group – leader Mike Slade. This is a brisk walking group (not too fast) and will help get you up to speed without causing unnecessary injury. It is run by an experienced walker, with walks lasting no more than an hour. Any members, friends or relatives are welcome. Normal membership rules apply.
We welcome all runners, and although we do not have a youth section, younger runners can run with a parent and 16-18 year olds can be catered-for. There is certainly no upper age limit!
Many of us take pride in racing in our club colours of sky blue with a red band, but there is no pressure, and runners who prefer not to compete are equally welcome. Club kit is available to buy on club night.
In addition to the Club night run, we offer an interval-training session on Tuesday nights at the WISE athletic track, now re-named the Kip Keino Athletic Stadium, at Bristol Academy of Sport, WISE Campus, Filton College, 6.30pm. Cost £1.
On Sunday there is at least one long run on Sunday mornings – click here for details.
The club has a thriving triathlon section and organises swimming and cycling sessions – click here for details.
We also hold plenty of social events, at which non-running partners are welcome.
You are welcome to join us: members pay £1 a week for the Thursday session (to cover cost of hall and refreshments), but newcomers aren’t expected to pay for the first 4 weeks! After that, normal membership is £12 a year. If you’re interested in joining, contact our Club Secretary Gareth Thomas: firstname.lastname@example.org .